« Another note on truncating Radio RSS feeds | Home | Step out of the car, keep your hands away from the eggs »

April 23, 2002

more RSS radio stuff

Currently Subscribed To, the Sequel

"We've done a bit more tweaking to Jon's currently subscribed to, and think that we've got it pretty much where we want it.

Find the tweaked-up script here .

Here's what we've changed:

  • Just a little bit of the table formatting.  Obviously, you are free to tinker with that as much as you please.
  • More important: we noticed that occasionally our subs() script would get hosed by the addition of a new channel.  All of a sudden, our macro would fail, and we'd get a bizarre error message:

    "Can't evaluate the expression because the name 'channeltitle' hasn't been defined."

Turns out that the error was a genuine one -- but in the RSS feed, not in the script.  We haven't kept careful track of RSS version numbers, and don't know the schema well enough to get haughty about it, but apparently some people are putting feeds out there that don't include the channeltitle element.  Solution: just wrap the code that addresses the channeltitle element in an if that makes sure channeltitle is defined." [The Boulder Inquisition]

If you've looked on the right at all, you've noticed that I've had this error message on my site for quite some time now. I'll have to give this one a shot to see if it fixes the problem.

[The Shifted Librarian]